Born in Florence in 1942, he attained his M.D. from Siena University in 1966 cum laude.
He completed his residences in Gynecology and Obstetrics, and in Endocrinology and Metabolism Disorders. In 1972, he received the PhD at the Division de Biochimie Clinique, Clinique Médicale at Lausanne University. In 1969 he become Deputy Assistant and from 1970 Full Assistant at the University of Siena. From 1972 he relocated to the Division of Gynecology and Obstetrics of the University in Cagliari and from 1973 he was nominated Senior Assistant. From 1977 he relocated to the University of Siena as Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In 1980 he was awarded as Full Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and nominated Director of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Cagliari. From 1° November 1982 he was nominated Director of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the University of Modena and since 1994 up to date he become Director of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the University of Pisa. In 1994 he was awarded with the Honoris Causa Laurea by the University of Wroclaw in Polonia, in 2005 he was awarded with the Honoris Causa Laurea by the University “Ovidius” of Costanta in Romania, in May 2007 he was awarded with the Honoris Causa Laurea by the University of Bucharest in Romania and in February 2009 he was awarded with the Honoris Causa Laurea by the University of Athens in Greece.
Prof. Genazzani is:
• President of the International Society of Gynecological Endocrinology
• President of the European Society for Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigaton
• Past President of the International Menopause Society
• Member of the Scientific and Ethical Review Group of the WHO Special Program “Research, Development and Training in Human Reproduction” from 1998 to 2002 and member of various scientific national societies in the obstetrics and gynecological field.
• Member of the International Academy of Human Reproduction since 1993
• Fellow ad eundem of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
• Reviewer of articles appearing in the:
Journal Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinical Endocrinology
European Journal of Endocrinology Neuroendocrinology
Journal of Endocrinological Investigation Climacteric
Gynecologic and Obstetrics Investigation Circulation
Neurosciences Letters Maturitas
American Journal of Obstetric and Gynecology Human Reproduction
American Journal of Cardiology Fertility and Sterility
Journal of Neuroendocrinology Journal of Hypertension
Italian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology BJOG
International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics Journal of Molecular Endocrinology
ACTA Endocrinologica European Menopausal Journal
• Editor-in-Chief of Gynecological Endocrinology since 1987
• Assistant Editor of the European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology from 2000 to 2003
• Editor of Maturitas since 2003
• Author of more than 640 papers in peer reviewed journals.
• Editor of more than 42 books
• Editor of A.P.O.G. (Permanent Update in Gynecology and Obstetrics)